The Woodland Trust has created a free Woodland Workout programme to help get that little bit more from a forest visit.
Personal trainer, Annette George, has created a Woodland Workout especially for VisitWoods.org.uk which is available as a free download to kick-start the fight against the flab.
The VisitWoods Woodland Workout is free, requires no special equipment and you’ll find everything you need in your local wood (just put your postcode into the website to find the nearest Feel Good Wood).
The workout includes exercises for all ages and abilities so whether you’re a fitness fanatic, want to tone up before your summer holiday, or just want to feel fitter and increase your energy levels, there’s something for everyone.
Trees and woods can have a restorative and therapeutic effect on the mind. Studies of hospital patients found that they recovered more quickly with a view of trees and nature from their windows. Not only this, trees have been found to enhance mood and improve self- esteem.
There are over 3000 Scottish woods on VisitWoods.org.uk and, as well as searching for your nearest wood simply by entering your postcode, you can refine your search by choosing from a list of more than 40 attributes to help you take advantage of the many other ways you can get fit outdoors. Search for woods good for cycling or mountain biking, woods with waymarked trails and those with good views for interesting walks.
Five Feel Good Woods
- Kintail & Morvich – Kyle of Lochalsh, Highland
- Glen Tanar NNR – Aboyne, Aberdeenshire
- The Hermitage – Dunkeld, Perth & Kinross
- Clyde Valley Woodlands – South Lanarkshire
- Wood of Cree – Newton Stewart, Dumfries & Galloway
- Templeton Woods – Dundee
- Balbirnie Park – Markinch, Fife
- Beecraigs Country Park – Linlithgow, West Lothian
- Hermitage of Braid – Edinburgh
- Dawsholm Park – Glasgow
- Tentsmuir – Tayport, Fife
- Loch Ard – Aberfoyle, Stirling
- Borgie – Thurso, Highland
- Pollok Country Park – Glasgow
- Newcastleton Forest – Scottish Borders
- Leanachan Forest – Fort William, Highland
- Ordiequish – Fochabers, Moray
- Carron Valley – North Lanarkshire
- Kilmichael Forest – Lochgilphead, Argyll & Bute
- Rothiemurchus – Aviemore, Highland
- Cademuir – Peebles, Scottish Borders
- Inverfarigaig (South Loch Ness) – Inverness, Highland
- Drumchapel Woodlands – Drumchapel, Glasgow
- Callander Wood – Falkirk
- West Forth Woodland – Whitburn, South Lanarkshire
Download the Woodland Workout
[download id=”8″ format=”3″]
(Site registration available at bottom right of page)